Quality, restorative sleep is one of the elements of the XY Wellness integrative roadmap. Inadequate amounts of quality sleep not only adversely affect retention, judgement, and reaction time, but also damage our overall health by weakening our immune system, making it less effective at fighting the growth of prostate cancer. Especially for men who are rebuilding their post-diagnosis lives, sleep is not a waste of time or a luxury, it is a necessity.
Sleep is some of the best medicine
HOW CAN I GET STARTED?
Above all else, you have to make sleep a priority. You can get away with one or two late nights, but it’s important to quickly pay back the sleep time lost. Schedule sleep like any other daily activity. Put it on your “to-do” list. Make sure you cross it off every night. Your body needs a chance to recharge. Your immune system needs support as it combats the growth of prostate cancer. Make smart choices that improve your odds of success.
Here are some things you can start doing tonight to stack the deck in your favor with regard to sleep.
- Turn off all lights and electronic devices
- Make sure the room is completely dark
- Keep any digital displays that are visible in the dark at least 3 feet away from your head
- Take your TV out of the bedroom
- Add white noise, like a fan or sound machine, to drown out background noise
- Establish regular sleep and wake schedules (even on weekends)
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine, like taking a hot shower or listening to soothing music
- Invest in a comfortable mattress and pillows
- Use your bedroom only for sleep (and sex)
- Finish eating at least 2 to 3 hours before your regular bedtime
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol close to bedtime
- If you get up often at night to urinate, stop drinking fluids a few hours before bed
- Try a melatonin dietary supplement
THE ELEMENTS OF WEllness
Transform what you eat into a powerful weapon against cancer, and discover the joy of preparing and consuming real, whole foods.
Our nutraceutical support programs are custom-designed to fit your needs based on where you are in your journey with prostate cancer.
Improve your fitness level through daily exercise and movement to rebuild and reclaim your health and quality of life.
Restorative sleep is an essential ingredient for a healthy mind and body, and allows your body time to recharge, recover, and rejuvenate.
Reducing stress is imperative to keeping your immune system healthy and functioning at optimal levels.
Improve and restore this important contributor to your quality of life and general well-being.