Although I designed Advanced ADT Support to help my patients who are undergoing hormone therapy, also known as Androgen Deprivation Therapy (“ADT”) for prostate cancer, this unique formula is beneficial for all aging men who are experiencing a natural decline in their testosterone levels.
Today we will focus on men undergoing ADT who are feeling the “side effects” of significant biochemical changes in the body.
When testosterone is brought down to zero for therapeutic reasons we want to do everything we can to avoid poor quality health as a result of the prostate cancer treatment that is actually trying to help.
While sexual dysfunction is a major side effect of ADT, other unwanted events include poor bone health (i.e. osteopenia, osteosporosis), memory issues, low energy, and metabolic syndrome, which is a cluster of conditions that occur together and increase your risk of heart disease and stroke.
These conditions include:
• Increased waistline size to more than 40 inches.
• Elevated triglycerides 150 milligrams per deciliter of blood (mg/dL) or greater.
• Reduced high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL) less than 40 mg/dL in men.
• Elevated fasting glucose of 100 mg/dL or greater
• Blood pressure values of systolic 130 mmHg or higher and/or diastolic 85 mmHg or higher
Having just one of these conditions doesn’t mean you have metabolic syndrome, but having three or more does.
Eating clean, exercise, mainly practicing weight resistance exercises and the right combination of dietary supplements can helps stave off adverse effects from ADT.
When formulating our Advanced ADT Support (“AAS”), I focused on what ingredients will not worsen prostate cancer and on natural compounds are scientifically known to improve brain function, prevent bone loss, sustain physical energy and keep the heart healthy.
Initially, the goal was to create a targeted formula for this group of patients where all ingredients would be in one bottle.
I quickly learned a simple ADT nutrition formula in one bottle was neither ideal nor viable. Instead I opted for our “compliance” or “convenience” packet approach using seven different items in capsule form. This is the most practical and best method to load the body with key nutrients to stave off ADT side effects and help men continue to thrive, despite the disease or the treatment.
What’s in AAS and why?
• Support brain chemistry and memory: Acetyl-L Carnitine, Huperzine A (a naturally occurring alkaloid compound), and the Ayurvedic herb for brain health, Bacopa monnieri, 750mg of EPA/DHA, N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine
• Support heart health: CoQ10 (Ubiquinol), 750mg of EPA/DHA, Magnesium, Vitamin K2, 5000 units of Vitamin D3.
• Support bone health: Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin K2.
• Physical Energy: Adaptogenic herbs like Panax quinquefolius (American ginseng), Ashwagandha (Indian ginseng or Withania), Eleutherococcus (Siberian ginseng) and Rhodiola.
If you are undergoing ADT, please consider giving Advanced ADT Support a try. If you are above 50 and feeling like it, maybe consider doing the same and see how you feel after a few weeks. As always, do not hesitate to drop me a note at my clinic or at XY Wellness if I can help you.